Disclosure: as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hiking is one of the most-loved sports of many. However, climbing mountains during challenging situations is a testing affair. To make the process easier, you ought to find the best hiking shorts in the marketplace. These shorts will offer more flexibility and freedom to move around easily.
So, how to find the best hiking short? Worry not, as we’ve got you covered. Below is a complete list of the ideal shorts for hiking. You can go through it and land your eyes on the perfect shorts to wear while climbing mountains. If you’re looking for apt hiking shorts to live an adventure, let’s jump right in!
Top 11 Best Hiking Shorts 2021
Are you on a hunt for the perfect shorts for hiking, these are the finest ones for you. It sports two slash pockets with COOLMAX mesh lining. Also, they can be easily dried. These hiking cargo pants adorn YKK zippers and are strong and durable.
- The free soldier hiking pants are crafted with 89% Nylon and 11% Spandex. Blended with quick-dry fabric, they are ultralight, breathable, and stay dry all the time. The Nylon fabric utilized in making this product has good scratch-resistance and a lot of other ideal characteristics. Also, featuring a bucket closure, these hiking shorts are flexible and comfortable to wear. They’re great for carrying out several tactical movements without any sense of restraint.
- Made of DuPont Teflon fabric, the high-quality material effectively repels a lot of stains and liquids. Additionally, it offers UPF 50+ sun protection, which prevents UVA and UVB rays. These rays are known to cause severe damage to the skin, but this product effectively provides a solution for this as well.
- These ripstop cargo shorts for men are designed with two slanted pockets. Further, it also includes flap hook & loop pockets for your convenience and safety.
- It also boasts a removable nylon belt that can be easily adjustable to the waist circumference. Also, the additional metal buckle that comes with the shorts is sturdy and durable. The Duraflex D-ring is capable of hanging keys, EDC, and various other tactical equipment.
- These hiking shorts for men are well-suited for outdoor hiking, cycling, camping, fishing, hunting, running, combat, military, backpacking, working, traveling, and a range of several other activities. Remember to refer to the size chart so that you can easily choose the right product. Furthermore, they provide a 100% guarantee on its quality and usability.
Here are yet another best hiking shorts in the market. These particular hiking shorts boast a water repellent finish. This does not make it entirely waterproof. Nevertheless, it helps shed a good amount of water. Now let’s take a look at its unique features.
- Crafted with 88% Nylon and 12% spandex, these hiking shorts indeed stand out. This can be your ultimate companion while hiking. It has good button closure and makes the shorts all the more comfortable to wear, especially for women.
- It showcases a lot of additional features and is extremely lightweight to wear around. Plus, it is breathable, quick-dry, and water-resistant. Also, the 4-way stretch comfort fabric allows UPF 50+ for excellent and effective UV protection.
- These hiking shorts sport not one but six multipurpose pockets. They include two slant hand pockets, two cargo pockets, and two zipper pockets. Moreover, a zip fly and metal button closure are included in this. The 2″ wide belt loop waistband adorns elastic side panels, making it one of the best shorts for hiking.
- These above-the-knee length shorts measure 10.5″ inches inseam. They sit perfectly on the waist. Also, you don’t have to worry because they’re neither baggy nor are they skin-tight.
- These are the ideal hiking shorts for women. You’re sure to grab some attention by wearing these cute and stylish looking shorts. They boast a performance-enhancing construction. In short, they are the best hiking shorts for travel, hiking, work, and various other casual purposes.
Wrangler Authentics men’s canvas utility hiker shorts is one of the top hiking shorts in town. Be it hiking or any adventurous trip, these shorts will surely make you comfortable. Now let’s dive right into its distinct features.
- Made of 100% cotton, these shorts have marked a place for themselves among the best hiking shorts in the market. They can be machine washed, and this won’t cause any damage to the material.
- These utility hiker shorts showcase an 8-inch inseam. These are built specially to help you feel comfy while performing any task. These relaxed-fit shorts also adorn an elastic waistband. This, along with the cotton fabric, will help you move comfortably on the trail.
- These hiking shorts feature cargo function and a style of their own. They also boast extra storage, which is a much-required feature. They are also great for keeping gear close at hand while you’re out on the trail. Trust us- these are the best hiking shorts to wear for weekend hikes, or even backyard barbeque parties! They are simply made to offer you utmost comfort and versatility.
- These shorts are made of highly-durable and long-lasting 100% cotton twill. They are built to last for many years, along with maintaining great breathability and comfort.
- As for storage, you won’t have anything lacking. It sports six pockets in total. They are two cargo flap pockets, two back velcro pockets, and two slash pockets. You can easily and safely store your cell phone, tools, wallet, and many other different items. To sum it up, it is beautifully finished with a heavy-duty zipper fly and button closure.
Specially designed for the active man, these hiking shorts are the ultimate outdoor staple. It is made with 100% nylon and Columbia’s signature fabric that consists of a recycled polyester lining. Premium-quality materials and expert craftsmanship are the backbone of Colombia’s men’s apparel. They are extremely lightweight, durable, and easy to use. Let’s discuss its key features.
- This amazing product showcases UPF 50 fabric for utmost protection. These are remarkably helpful when it comes to prevention against harmful UVA and UVA rays from damaging your skin. Additionally, it features a breathable, wicking fabric that takes all the moisture away to always keep you cool and dry.
- This hiking short for men comes with one zip-closure security pocket. Plus, side pockets with hook and loop closure along with mesh pocket bags. Hence, it provides you with the ultimate convenience and security.
- It offers you various adjustable features like a partial elastic waist and gusset detail. This provides the user with a great level of comfort while performing activities like bouldering, rafting, etc. This is, in short, a classic fit product that will meet all your expectations.
- The Omni-shade blocks the UVA and UVB rays effectively to protect you from sunburns and long-term skin damage. Furthermore, the UV absorbent yarns help block the full spectrum of harmful UV rays. In a nutshell, buying these hiking shorts means money well spent.
Libin Men’s outdoor hiking shorts are stylish yet super comfy. They come as regular fit shorts and provide utmost ease without being sloppy. They boast a lot of features required by customers. Now, let’s see what these features are.
- Crafted with 88% nylon and 12% spandex, these are one of the best hiking shorts in town. They are made of soft fabric with a durable water-resistant finish. Also, it includes UPF 50+ that helps in repelling water. Moreover, it resists UV rays and will only take little time to dry out.
- Flexibility is a highly-required feature in hiking shorts. This product offers you just that. It is really comfortable to wear as it sports a 4-way stretch woven fabric. This enhances mobility and lets you move around easily.
- These hiking shorts come with six super large pockets. They are two slash hand pockets, two thigh zipper pockets, and two back zipper pockets that permit you to stash a lot of your items.
- These are the perfect shorts for outdoor purposes. They are not too loose nor too tight. These are without question ideal for activities like trekking, camping, climbing, traveling, fishing, or any of your favorite outdoor sports. It also adorns various additional features like an elastic side waistband with 2″ belt loops and a metal button closure with a zip fly.
Wespornow men’s convertible hiking pants can be used for both travel and work purposes. They can be converted from pants to shorts anytime. Yes, you heard that right! They are convertible, and you can use them both ways anytime you wish. There’s more to its features, so let’s take a look at them.
- These amazing hiking shorts are made of superior-quality materials. They are a combination of 90% polyester and 10% spandex. It has good button closure as well.
- Speaking of pockets, it features five pockets in total. They include two front pockets, two side pockets, and one zip-closed rear pocket. It can even hold a 6.5″ inch phone and many other small items.
- The waistband sports an elastic design and offers much flexibility. Along with this, it includes snap and zipper closure with belt loops for a smooth fit. Moreover, the toggle at the hem allows for further adjustability.
- These 4-way stretch woven outer pants are lightweight, making it easy for you to dry them quickly. They’re also rugged enough to resist abrasion. These are specifically designed for ease. Further, the L and R labels on the zippers will help you identify which leg must be inserted on which side. This is truly helpful while converting the pants to shorts and vice versa.
- They are mostly designed for outdoor activities like hiking, camping, travel, fishing, and much more. Also, this can be adopted as daily wear.
Wrangler offers some of the best hiking shorts out there. By integrating all the ideal features into a single product, wrangler has proved to be a game-changer yet again! Let’s take a quick look at its unique features.
- Crafted with 94% Nylon and 6% spandex, these hiking shorts are highly durable. They can be washed in machines, and this would not cause any damage to the material.
- It comes with a relaxed fit and comfortable waistband. Thus, it makes you feel at ease through any activity. Moreover, it features a 10″ inch inseam that goes down all the way up to your knees for all-day comfort and warmth.
- These shorts were designed with the user’s comfort in mind. The innovative and flexible waistband ensures a relaxed fit in mind. This enables you to move, walk, and bend easily. The stretchable fabric allows a natural range of motion with every activity.
- You can wear these shorts even during winter mornings and rainy days without much thought. These quick-drying hiking shorts are built to help you stay dry irrespective of the situations you encounter.
- These classic cargo shorts are comfy to wear, as well. They’re also functional for everyday use. From outdoor purposes to casual lunch outings, these are the apt shorts to pair with a T-shirt. They’re built for bringing out utmost versatility and comfort along with offering extra storage.
- For added storage space, these hiking shorts sport two cargo zip pockets, two back pockets, and two slash pockets. Plus, it ensures great safety for storing your cell phone, wallet, and other valuable items.
The Hiauspor men’s mountain bike shorts are quick-drying, lightweight, and water-repellant sportswear. It is made of highly breathable material, which helps draw the sweat away. Hence, you’ll be able to stay cool all day. To talk more about the product, let’s move right into its features.
- These hiking shorts are made of 92% polyester and 8% spandex. This makes it all the more durable. Also, make sure to check the size chart for more information before you purchase the best hiking shorts.
- Sporting a highly-breathable material, these shorts can last long, up to several years, if properly maintained. Additionally, they offer vital protection from dirt, the splashing of unclean water, etc.
- The YKK zipped pockets will allow you to store items like 5.5″ inches phone, keys, cards, and several other valuable items. They also feature two adjustable hooks and a loop fastener on the sides. This will enable the shorts to hug your waist comfortably.
- These shorts aren’t just apt for hiking, but they can also be used for cycling, camping, fishing, hunting, traveling, and even for daily wear, etc.
Wespornow men’s hiking shorts are exceptionally lightweight and are quick to dry. The rugged nylon stretches well and offers UPF 50+ sun protection. These shorts for hiking also showcase various other unique and attractive features. Let’s take a look at the same.
- The makers of these shorts provide a 100% guarantee on these top quality products. They also offer the best service to their customers. In case of queries, you can always contact them. They’ll be available to assist you.
- It includes an elastic closure. Plus, it boasts five pockets in total. They’re 3 zippered hand pockets, and two left and right flapped thigh pockets. This is a great option to store your belongings securely.
- The waist-length of the Wespornow men’s hiking shorts can be adjusted. They can be fitted well to enhance your level of comfort. No matter where you are, be it the road, rocks, or dirt, these shorts will get you covered by being remarkably flexible.
- These quick-drying ripstop polyester hiking shorts are capable of heavy usage and can resist abrasion to a great extent. They are superior in quality and sport flexible fabrics. They are sure to present you with the best durability and comfort of movement.
- The design of these hiking shorts is such that it is best suited for outdoor activities and sports. Plus, it can be used for hiking, walking, camping, climbing, etc. You can even make them your daily attire if you wish so!
These are undoubtedly the best hiking shorts if you’re a true outdoor enthusiast. From scaling mountains, leaping streams, and trekking down rugged trails, these shorts sure do a great job. You can don these versatile shorts for your next adventure. Till then, let’s just get down to its features.
- These shorts are made of 100% nylon. To make things easier for you, these shorts can be washed in machines. They have good button closure as well.
- Columbia’s silver ridge cargo shorts boast the signature UPF 30 fabric for protection. This will prevent harmful UVA and UVB rays from reaching and damaging your skin. Additionally, the breathable, quick-dry fabric allows you to stay cool and dry all the time.
- They are durable and feature one zip-closure security pocket. You are also provided two side pockets to secure small and tiny items.
- A partial elastic waistband provides great flexibility. It also includes a belt to give you ultimate comfort during activities like bouldering, rafting, etc.
- These classic-fit shorts provide you with a sense of safety and protection. The Omni-shade actively blocks UVA and UVB rays so as to prevent sunburns and long-term skin damage. Furthermore, the tight weave construction, along with the UV absorption yarn, effectively blocks the whole spectrum of UV rays.
Little Donkey Andy men’s shorts can be included among the list of the best hiking shorts in town. They combine comfort and versatility and are specifically made for active men. They are made of quick-dry fabric and are lightweight. They help you stay cool and comfy all the time. Now let’s take a look at their features.
- The available size can be a little small, so it is always good to refer to the size chart if you prefer a loose fit. If you go for a size up, you’ll be saved from a lot of procedures in case the size doesn’t fit you.
- Made of nylon and spandex, these hiking shorts prove to be stretchy and durable. You’ll feel cool and protected in these shorts. The fabric dries fast, and so you won’t get soggy.
- Further, spandex adds durable 4-way stretch. This enhances movement and gives you premium-level comfort. Plus, the soft and lightweight aspect of these hiking shorts make them worth every penny.
- It has an adjustable waist with velcro for a customized fit. Plus, it also offers a gusseted crotch for added comfort, hence making them lightweight and soft.
- These hiking shorts give you four zippered pockets. You’ll have two front pockets for your essentials and also a side cargo pocket. Moreover, you’ll have access to a rear zippered pocket so that you can secure all your valuables. These high-performance shorts are ideal for outdoor activities like hiking, camping, golf, fishing, travel, etc.
Benefits Of Hiking Shorts
Shorts aren’t like pants that hold in heat. They offer more ventilation and allow you to shed the excess heat generated while going up a mountain. The last thing you want on a summer hike is to sweat all throughout the journey. We bet you’d agree on this!
Overheating is most likely to slow you down, make you nauseous, and if it goes beyond a limit, the heatstroke can even kill you. Hence, shorts play a major role in providing ventilation and preventing overheating.
When it comes to movement, shorts are always the ideal choice. You’ve got to go for the best hiking shorts, and never sacrifice on quality. Moreover, they provide a wider option than shorts. While rock scrambling, pants always tend to limit your motion.
You won’t be able to easily stretch your legs either. This will make it difficult for you to move across rock faces and over the boulders. Shorts are way more comfortable than pants in every aspect. They will allow you to move your legs farther away from your body, thereby making your hiking shorts an ideal garment for any outdoor activity.
While hiking in varying conditions, shorts are the perfect go-to option. They can be part of a simple layering system. You can easily throw on a pair of comfy thigh-length shorts . If it gets chilly, you can pull up your socks to cover your legs. And if it warms up, you can roll down your socks anytime so that your legs get some air.
High-quality hiking shorts are extremely lightweight. They weigh only 10 ounces or less. They are a no-brainer for your ultralight backpacking wardrobe. Therefore, choose the best hiking shorts out there to make your trip all the more relaxing.
Types Of Hiking Shorts
Before purchasing the best hiking shorts, you need to know the two types of shorts that are available. They are lightweight running shorts and minimal hiking shorts. Actually speaking, there are no right or wrong choices when it comes to choosing between the two. Purchase the ones that are most suitable to you in terms of comfort and style.
1. Running Shorts
Lightweight running shorts are now not only ideal for runners and athletes, but they can be used by hikers and trail runners as well. Hikers have started to adopt such shorts as their right companion. These running shorts are exceptionally lightweight and are particularly designed for speed.
They are made of thin material and are often quick-drying. This is a double bonus for hikers! Some of these shorts include a mesh inner liner. This will enhance the air-flow and make you comfier. Also, for those who tend to chafe, a compression liner is an added feather to the cap.
When compared to hiking shorts, running shorts have a broader market appeal. Thus, they are easier to find in stores and are often pocket-friendly. They only feature shorter inseams and lack extra pockets and belt loops. The best hiking shorts are those that can make you feel comfortable while performing several outdoor activities. These shorts meet every hiker’s expectations and are best for fastpacking and hiking during hot days. As long as you don’t mind their length, you can get comfy in these short-shorts!
2. Minimal Hiking Shorts
Minimal hiking shorts are made of lightweight and quick-drying fabric. This makes it ideal for hikers. They also have a longer inseam when compared to running shorts. Also, they sport a few pockets to stash lightweight items like a cell phone, wallet, etc. Most of these hiking shorts are stretchable. This makes it more flexible, and you can bend with ease while you traverse challenging terrains.
The superior-quality material makes these shorts strong enough to withstand ripping at seams. Minimal hiking shorts are perfect for hiking in rough terrain. In these places, the rocks threaten to snag your shorts and rip them apart. Additionally, they work really well in temperatures as they cover most parts of your leg.
A major portion of hikers is often attracted to minimal shorts as they aren’t as short as running shorts. Moreover, they are highly-stretchable. While purchasing them, don’t get lured by cargo shorts as they look similar to minimal shorts. Cargo shorts have a ton of pockets in them. Although they may prove to be useful, they can also be a limitation by increasing your burden. Extra weight is always unnecessary, so be careful about what you choose to buy.
On the other hand, Bermuda shorts are a different kind that you’ll come across. They are usually made of cotton and are not too stretchable. They are basically designed as semi-casual wear. Bermuda shorts are also good-choice hiker shorts but always go for hiking models rather than dressier ones.
3. Convertible Pants
In your hunt for the best hiking shorts, you are most likely to stumble upon convertible pants. These are full-length pants with zippered legs that are removable anytime. You can unzip the leg and convert the pants into shorts whenever you wish so. This style of pants is useful when you are hiking in places that require you to switch between pants and shorts.
You can unzip the pant leg when it gets heated up and then slip it back on when the cold wave hits you. They are available as lightweight materials suitable for all weather conditions. Also, be careful not to lose one of its legs once you remove them. Once you lose it, you would no longer be able to wear this garment as pants.
Factors To Look Out For Before Buying The Best Hiking Short
Before you set your hands on the best hiking shorts, you need to ensure that you buy a good-quality garment. Various materials are available, and you are free to choose from any of these. When it comes to nylon, you won’t have to look any further. This fabric is known to be excellent for hiking. This synthetic fabric goes easy and soft on the skin. Moreover, they are lightweight, breathable, and quick-drying. Nylon wicks sweat away from your skin, unlike cotton. The wicking process is highly effective in the case of nylon.
On the other hand, polyester is another common synthetic fiber mostly seen in hiking gear and clothing. Similar to nylon, polyester is also lightweight and breathable. Plus, it is hydrophobic and repels water easily. When compared to nylon, polyester does a greater job in keeping you dry. It is also more resistant to UV damage. The only drawback is, it is not as abrasion-resistant as nylon.
Spandex is that magic fabric that gives all the garments a stretching property. It is capable of stretching up to 6 times its original size. Like nylon and polyester, spandex is also breathable, moisture-wicking, and quick-drying. Speaking of cotton, it is not always the best option. ‘Cotton kills’ is a common mantra in the hiking community. It is highly absorbent and can make you experience hypothermia if ever you get wet or fall into a creek. Furthermore, watch out for khaki, jean, or canvas shorts as they’re not suitable for hiking.
The best shorts for hiking are the ones with DER and UPF. DWR stands for Durable Water Repellent, and UPF stands for Ultraviolet Protection Factor. Both of these provide an extra layer of protection from various harmful elements. DWR is a coating added to the fabrics during manufacturing.
It gives the fabric a water-resistance property. This will help the shorts to stay drier for a relatively long period. UPF is a rating given to clothes that are designed to provide protection against harmful UV rays. Higher the UPF rating, the higher the protection level.
Shorts come in a variety of lengths. After all, it’s up to the customer’s preferences. Some people like short shorts while others like longer ones. However, the only factor to be considered is the inseam length. This length should be above the knee, usually 10″ inches or less unless you are really tall. If the shorts stay below your knee, your freedom of movement will be restricted.
We bet you wouldn’t like your clothes baggy or too tight, but again, it’s up to your dressing preferences. However, we would suggest your clothes aren’t too loose that they are falling off and uncomfortable. You could snag your clothes on a branch, and we don’t want that. Also, try avoiding low-rise shorts. It is because they’re uncomfortable and may lead to chafing. Always get your hands on a moderate or a high-rise short for taking your comfort to the next level.
Most of us love pockets, don’t we? Nonetheless, they don’t tend to be really useful in hiking shorts. The last thing you want is your bulging pocket getting in your way while climbing or descending a mountain. Pockets can be used to warm your hands when it gets chilly. If you’re going to the town, you can even store your wallet and other belongings safely inside it. Keep the number of pockets to the minimum, and remember to avoid cargo shorts. Why? Because they include tons of pockets, and that is unnecessary!
Are You Ready To Hit The Mountains?
While traversing through challenging terrains, you need to have the best hiking shorts on. This is to ensure your shorts don’t cause any trouble while ascending or descending a mountain. To set your eyes on the best short for hiking is often a time-consuming task. However, we have simplified this process for you.
Above is a list of our handpicked choices that you can go through to arrive at a good decision. Also, keep in mind the various factors before you buy them. The material used is an important aspect as it determines the quality of the garment. Look out for the UPF rating in these products as they offer you more protection. Spare some time and get your hands on the best hiking shorts in town! Thank us later.