Disclosure: as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nobody likes sweaty palms, especially if they are a climber or gym enthusiast. Sweaty hands can be the difference between a perfect rock climbing adventure and an injury nightmare. Not to forget that injuries during rock climbing can be particularly nasty.
Elite climbers use climbing chalk as a solution to the above problem. The best climbing chalks not only ensure dry hands but also ascertain the protection of your hands from injuries on a rock climbing adventure.
Climbing chalks significantly improve your grip while climbing and keep sweat at bay. They are designed to provide the perfect grip and overcome all obstacles that come your way while climbing, including humidity, rain, sweat, etc.
Climbers don’t usually swear by a particular brand while buying the best climbing chalks. They are focused on enhancing their performance and making the most of every climbing adventure. It all comes down to personal preference.
The good thing about climbing chalks is that you can have a few different types and brands at the same time, thanks to the affordable price. You can use the hit and trial method to choose one. We have compiled the best climbing chalks for you to pick from.
The chalk market is diverse with numerous options available to choose from, with various features like sensitivity, eco-friendly chalks, antibacterial properties, and the list goes on. There are various types of climbing chalks too.
To ease some of your legwork, after a lot of research, we have come up with this complete guide for selecting the best climbing chalks from the wide range of products available in the market.
Here is a list of the top 15 best climbing chalks available in the current market.
Top 15 Best Climbing Chalks 2021
1. Pur Chalk
Keep your hands dry and sticky while you climb with Pur Chalk. It is a premium rock-climbing chalk that coats your hands with a fine layer of Magnesium Carbonate, keeping them non-greasy and sweat-free.
The composition contains no fillers or drying agents, allowing maximum sweat absorption by the 100% Magnesium Carbonate mix. Preserve the rocks while you climb as this climbing chalk does not leave white marks all over the rock face.
Apart from climbing, this rock climbing chalk is suitable for weightlifting, gymnastics, CrossFit, and workout routines too as it provides a non-slip grip on all equipment. It comes in a biodegradable and recyclable package, which is reusable and eco-friendly.
- 100% Magnesium Carbonate ? no fillers or drying agents
- Natural and Premium rock climbing chalk
- Safe for both indoor and outdoor use
- Natural pigments
- Not too dusty
- Light chalk
- Smooth on the hands
- A thin layer on the hands ensures there is not too much tackiness
- Getting the chalk out from the nails can be a little tricky.
- The coating doesn’t last long on the hands and you might have to put your hands in the packet again and again.
- It is a bit pricey as compared to other climbing chalks in the market.
Chalking up your hands before going for a tough set of movements on your next task is extremely important so that you have the perfect grip on the rocks. Asana White Dirt Chalk helps you do exactly that.
It comes in a resealable and reusable bag that is biodegradable and eco-friendly. The package contains 100% natural chalk with the only ingredient being Magnesium Carbonate. There are no unwanted chemicals or drying agents present in this packet.
The four ounces packet contains enough bouldering chalk to climb up the rocks and keep your hands non-sticky and non-greasy. This rock climbing chalk is suitable for both indoor and outdoor activities.
- 100% natural chalk
- No added chemicals or drying agents
- Superfine grains of Magnesium Carbonate
- Resealable packet
- Light and fine powder
- Smooth texture
- Leaves no white marks on the rocks
- No known cons. That is why it is one of the best climbing chalks in the market.
Enjoy a killer grip without gloves or re-chalking by using Peak District Liquid Chalk. This advanced Liquid Chalk stays on your hands for a long time with no need for reapplication, so that you can tap into your full potential without any worries about slipping.
The thick liquid that comes out of the no-spill top doesn’t create any drippy mess like any of the cheaper liquid chalks. A drop on the palm is enough to apply like a lotion to get a smooth coat all day long.
No more chalk dust, powdered mess, or dripping liquids. Use the Peak District Liquid Chalk that is safe on the skin and has no bad odor. With the absence of rash-causing fillers, this is a gentle and smooth liquid chalk to help you reach the top of all rocks.
- Upgraded liquid chalk that is in the form of lotion
- Non-messy thick liquid chalk
- Skin-safe with no dangerous rash-causing additives
- Gentle and smooth on the skin
- No sweat formula
- Reduces calluses while climbing
- Gentle on the skin with no heavy alcohol content
- The thick lotion-like liquid doesn?t drip
- Keeps your hands sweat-free
- Suitable for rock-climbing as well as weightlifting
- It takes time to dry after application as it is a bit too watery.
Be ahead in the game by overcoming all slippery rocks using Friction Lab Premium Sports Chalk that contains highly pure Magnesium Carbonate. This climbing chalk is non-toxic as it is free of all pigments, silica, and other harmful additives–safe to be used around kids as well.
Every unit is packed after thorough refinement in Colorado to remove any fillers or artificial drying agents to keep your skin healthy and safe. This rock climbing chalk lasts longer even with a single application.
Take your gym performance to the next level and make your rock climbing experience better than before by using Friction Labs Premium Sports Chalk. Overcome all gripping problems caused by sweat, rain, or humidity using this climbing chalk.
- High purity Magnesium Carbonate climbing chalk
- Non-toxic, pigment-free, and silica-free
- No added fillers or artificial drying agents
- Safe to use around children
- Refined chalk to maintain a strong and reliable grip
- It doesn?t harm the skin
- Great coverage
- It doesn?t dry out the hands
- A single application lasts for a long time
- It is a bit clumpier than you might expect.
- It is not too fine or smooth and contains a lot of chunks.
- It is on the costlier side.
These wrapped blocks of climbing chalk from Rage Fitness Store are designed to provide better traction and to keep the moisture on the hands at bay. The superior quality is preferred by gymnasts and athletes all over the world.
The blocks ensure that there is more chalk available at a cheaper price as compared to the other powdered chalks available in the market. This chalk will outlast you as even if you use it daily, you would have barely made a dent in the block.
Suitable for both outdoor and indoor activities, Gibson Athletic Premium Block Gym Chalk is ideal for having a better grip over the rocks or the gym equipment. The blocks don’t crumble easily, proving to be a rightful addition to our best climbing chalkguide.
- 8-ounce Magnesium Carbonate blocks
- Reduces hand moisture
- Better traction
- Sweat-free performance
- Durable through the years
- It doesn’t crumble just by touching
- Good grip
- Cheap price
- It has a weird fragrance that you might not like.
- The coating on the hands comes off after each use.
If you want a little mess and a lot more effectiveness, then Fire Team Fit Liquid Chalk for Rock Climbing is your solution. This liquid chalk comes in a portable bottle so that you can have dry and sweat-free hands even while on the move.
This liquid chalk is much more reliable than chalk blocks as it is far more effective and doesn?t create any chalk dust. The easy-to-apply formula dries quickly once applied and acts as a shield to resist sweat.
With hand-sanitizing properties, this liquid climbing chalk is antibacterial and germ-free. It significantly improves gripping ability while climbing, weightlifting, and working out. This chalk can last an entire workout session without any need for reapplication.
- Portable liquid climbing chalk
- Quick dry and sweat-resistant
- Antibacterial and germ-free
- Long-lasting effect
- Better gripping ability than chalk blocks
- Keeps your hands sweat-free
- It doesn?t create dust chalk dust like regular chalk
- Allows you to have a much better grip
- It doesn?t drip or create a mess while applying
- Dries within 7 to 10 seconds
- At times the grip can get so firm that you end up tearing your hands if not handled carefully.
- It leaves a little white residue on everything you touch.
For a mess-free and stress-free climbing experience, use DLR Creations Liquid Chalk that is perfect for both indoor and outdoor sports and activities. It lasts longer than regular climbing chalks or powders.
Thanks to the advanced formula, this liquid climbing chalk is much better than ordinary chalk blocks that create dust clouds and leave white marks everywhere. It is easy to use and doesn’t spill during application.
This is an odor-free liquid climbing chalk with no harmful effects on the skin. You get more for the money you pay as one bottle of this liquid climbing chalk can be used at least a hundred times. For a mess-free climbing experience, this might be one of the best climbing chalks out there.
- One bottle can be used at least a hundred times
- Long-lasting formula
- Odor-free and dust-free
- Non-messy thick chalk
- Ideal for rock climbing, powerlifting, gymnastics, etc.
- The hands don’t look coated it white and yet remain dry
- The dry rough surface of the hands is maintained for a long time
- One drop is enough for an entire session ? no re-chalking required
- It is gentle on the skin
- The sturdy bottle can be carried anywhere
- Dries quickly after application
- The snap lid of the bottle is difficult to re-secure.
Overcome all your gripping problems by using this Magic Chalk Ball from Friction Labs that gives you sweat-free hands and protection from over-drying at the same time. This climbing chalk is designed to give your hands an even cot without caking.
Created in the USA, this climbing chalk is stripped of all artificial drying agents and fillers that can harm your skin. It is silica-free, pigment-free, and 100% pure Magnesium Carbonate climbing chalk that is gentle and safe on the skin.
For easy and mess-free application, this climbing chalk comes with a refillable cotton bag with an adjustable drawstring. Friction Labs is a trusted brand across the world of sports and hence this Magic Chalk Ball is one of the best climbing chalks in the market.
- 100% Magnesium Carbonate climbing chalk ball
- No additives or fillers
- Soft and even feel on the skin
- Refillable cotton bag with an adjustable drawstring
- Clean and non-toxic
- Trusted brand across the world of sports
- It creates proper powder and not just flakes.
- A thinner coating on the hands ensures that your fingers don?t cake up
- A much more secure grip
- Not dusty like other climbing chalks
- Since it is a highly reputed brand and is used by professionals across various sports, it is much more pricey than other climbing chalks.
- The cotton bag is slightly leaky as the powder can be seen dusting off its surface.
9. Primo Chalk
Stop ruining your hands while struggling to climb up a steep rock. Use Primo Chalk, which claims to be one of the best climbing chalks in the world. Sustainably sourced and created, it is trusted by various top-tier athletes across various sports.
A single application lasts five to seven times longer than most other climbing chalks in the market. It is used by elite climbers to satisfy all their adventure cravings. It contains some essential oils that naturally moisturize your skin and protect it from over-drying and tearing.
With this finely ground chalk, your grip during climbing and workouts improves dramatically. The naturally antibacterial climbing chalk keeps you safe and sanitized during a hard climb or a tough workout. The single chalk ball has an amazing fragrance too.
- Long-lasting climbing chalk ball
- Sustainably created and sourced
- Trusted across various sports and famous leagues around the globe
- Essential oils to protect your skin from damage
- High-grade natural Epsom salts
- Used by elite climbers worldwide
- Good grip
- It doesn?t over-dry your hands and keeps them soft
- The anti-bacterial nature keeps ensures added safety
- It has a great light smell of menthol
- This climbing chalk tends to get a little slimy if your hands sweat too much.
- Though not much, it is still messier than the other climbing chalks in the market.
- You will have to re-chalk your hands time and again as it doesn?t last too long.
This large bag of climbing chalk from 321 Strong Stores is your perfect companion for a tough climb or a hard workout session. The big bag is enough to refill your chalk ball or climbers bag.
This climbing chalk has no scent whatsoever. It dramatically enhances friction and grip. The bone dry hands ensure that you have a solid grip. The zip-top bag is perfect for long-term storage and usage.
It is non-toxic and doesn’t contain any pigments, making it safe to be used around kids as well. Reduce sweaty palms and ascertain mess-free storage by using this climbing chalk. Make every hold stick like glue with this climbing chalk.
- Magnesium Carbonate climbing chalk
- Large bag suitable for multiple purposes
- Contains no pigments
- Includes a resealable bag for storing the climbing chalk without creating a mess.
- Great climbing chalk for powerlifting and tough climbs
- Evenly coats the surface of the hands
- Cheap and affordable
- Loose chalk is a blessing for most people.
- Allows your hands to stay dry and maintain friction.
- It flakes off quickly and has to be reapplied again and again.
- The hands tend to get damp with sweat after a certain time.
- Some chunks in the package are to be broken down for use, which is much harder than it seems.
Enhance your grip and protect your hands at the same time using Matawi Yunek Loose Chalk. This large packet contains 400 grams of non-toxic, safe, and pure Magnesium Carbonate that will let you grip the rocks firmly and climb effortlessly.
The improved grip doesn’t compromise on the safety of your hands as this climbing chalk will help you to avoid accidents as well. Thanks to the super friction chalk, you will have not only a much more convenient experience while climbing but a safer one too.
This hypoallergenic chalk has sweat-wicking properties that help to keep your hands dry during your climb or workout session. Why waste a small fortune on any other climbing chalk when you can have this huge packet from Matawi Yunek at the same price?
- Large 400 grams packet
- Pure Magnesium Carbonate climbing chalk
- No fillers or artificial drying agents
- Hypoallergenic and sweat-wicking
- Loose chalk
- Perfect for both indoor and outdoor sports
- Light and smooth
- Offers great friction
- Safe on the skin
- Keeps sweat at bay
- Value for money
- It is a bit chunky and clumpy as compared to other climbing chalks in the market.
- It is much softer than other climbing chalks.
- The zipper on the packet can rip off easily.
This climbing chalk from Primo lasts twice as long with half the amount that you are used to picking from ordinary Magnesium Carbonate chalk. It is regarded as one of the best climbing chalks for athletes and sportspersons across the globe.
The superfine powdered chalk from Primo sneaks into all the crevices on your hands and stays there for a longer time than other climbing chalks. The blend is a result of the perfect amalgamation of Magnesium Carbonate with essential oils and Epsom salt.
The grippy blend helps reduce calluses and protects your hands from unnecessary damage or over-dryness. Your skin stays in great shape and remains safe at the same time due to the antibacterial properties of Primo Climbing Chalk.
- A blend of Magnesium Carbonate, Epsom salt, and essential oils
- Antibacterial properties
- Superfine texture
- Long-lasting grip
- Ideal for weightlifting, rock climbing, gymnastics, etc.
- Stays on the hands longer than other brands in the market
- It has a pleasant fragrance
- The fine powder gives better coverage on the hands
- Keeps sweat at bay
- Prevents over-dryness
- It is costlier than other climbing chalks.
- It might make your hands slippery if you sweat profoundly.
- It requires reapplication quite a few times even in a single workout.
No more slipping from the rocks or loose grips on gym equipment. Use this advanced Liquid Chalk and thumb tapes to enhance your grip in every sport that you play. The versatile liquid chalk can be used across various sports.
If you want to do weightlifting, powerlifting, climbing, or gymnastics, don?t fret as this liquid chalk has got you covered. The lightweight package is easy to use and carry. You can use the link lock that can be attached to your backpack.
This liquid climbing chalk not only helps you to improve your grip but also prevents and reduces calluses and bruising. Get the extra support and grip for your intense gym sessions and climbing adventures using this liquid climbing chalk.
- No mess liquid climbing chalk
- Sweat-resistant traction
- Antibacterial properties
- Link lock to clip on your backpack
- Sleek bottle
- Lotion-like consistency means no spilling or wastage
- Includes three thumb tapes
- Long-lasting on the hands
- It doesn’t leave any stains
- Safe and gentle on the skin
- The added thumb tapes are a bonus
- It doesn’t smell great.
Iron American Liquid Sports Chalk is an advanced formula that protects against slipping grips and at the same time prevents damage to your hands as well. Each unit comes as a travel-size sleek bottle with a carabiner hook to attach it to your belt or backpack.
The long-lasting formula stays on the hands and doesn?t require reapplication in the middle of your workout or climbing sessions. The improved formula protects against sweat, rain, humidity, and oils, and keeps your hands dry.
Unlike regular chalk blocks or powders, this liquid climbing chalk does not create a mess while applying and sticks better to your hands. It is capable of preventing blisters and calluses and keeps your hands safe and protected at all times.
- Advanced liquid climbing chalk
- Lotion-like consistency that creates no mess
- Travel-size sleek bottles with carabiner hooks
- Long-lasting effect on hands
- Protection against blisters and calluses
- It can be used as a base layer for powder chalk for more longevity
- Multipurpose usage
- Easy to apply
- Dries within 10 seconds of application
- Non-messy due to thick consistency
- No more sweaty palms as it prevents sweating
- It doesn’t cake up your hands and forms a fine layer on the surface
- It is not as lasting as many other brands in the market.
- The liquid can get coagulated within the tube over time.
- It can leave white marks wherever you put your hands.
This Super Chalk from Metolius is specifically designed for those who have an unrelenting desire to scale the rocks and climb up the top. It is packaged in a resealable and reusable zipper bulk bag.
A safe drying agent is blended with the highest-quality Magnesium Carbonate to ensure maximum sweat-wicking and superior grip. It is suitable for both indoors and outdoor and outdoor activities but is specifically recommended for rock climbing.
It keeps your hands dry and protected from damage after its application. It has a good balance between gritty and powdery. You get a bang for your buck as you get the best of both worlds ? high efficiency at a great price.
- Specifically formulated for rock climbing
- A balanced texture between gritty and powdery
- Combination of highest-quality Magnesium Carbonate and a safe artificial drying agent
- Maximum sweat absorption
- Resealable zippered bag
- A bulk-size bag that lasts long
- Keeps your hands dry for a long time
- No more sweaty palms
- Smooth on the hands
- Value for money
- Ideal for rock climbing
- It is a bit clumpy and has to be mixed well before use.
- It doesn’t last as long as some other brands in the market.
There are various factors to look into before purchasing the best climbing chalks. You can choose by the hit and trial method, too, as climbing chalks don’t cost a fortune, but this guide helps you to save some time.
Here are a few factors that you must consider before purchasing the best climbing chalks.
Factors To Consider Before Buying The Best Climbing Chalk
1. Types Of Chalks
Climbing chalks are either made of 100% pure Magnesium Carbonate (MgCO3) or are mixed with some artificial drying agents to prevent sweating and keep your hands dry. The major difference comes in the form in which chalks are available.
- Chalk Blocks? Pure Magnesium Carbonate in the form of a huge block. You can crush it to a consistency of your preference. These blocks last long and are less messy till the time they are crushed.
- Loose Chalk Powder ? It comes as both pure and with drying agents too. It is already ground for you to use. The consistency of the powder varies from brand to brand.
- Eco Chalks ? These were created in response to rising concerns about the spoiling aesthetics of the rocks by the climbers. They contain colorless drying agents that don?t leave marks on the rocks.
- Liquid Chalk ? Another result of technological advancement, such chalks come in the form of lotions that can be rubbed on the hands for a better grip. It is a mix of chalk and alcohol that dries quickly and doesn?t create a mess.
2. Ease Of Use
As you climb up steep and dangerous rocks, you will want easy accessibility to your chalk bag for reapplication. Also, the chalk must not irritate or overdry your skin. Choose the simplest chalk easy to apply and access while hanging in the middle of nowhere.
Not all are comfortable with caking up their hands in white powder. It takes time to get used to that. Ideally, you would apply a thick enough layer to last long while climbing. It is hence important to choose chalk that you are comfortable to use.
4. Dust and Mess
Many people can?t tolerate the excessive chalk dust that rises when you put your hands in a chalk-bag. It tends to get messy. If you are not comfortable with that, you can try either liquid chalk or chalk blocks that are far less messy and create little to no dust while applying.
5. White Marks
Climbing chalk can leave white marks on the rocks while you grip them. If you are worried about that, you can choose Eco chalks which are colorless. These can also be used in gyms where traditional chalks are not allowed.
Though climbing chalks are easily affordable as compared to other expensive climbing gear, yet you can’t ignore the cost of it. If you don’t want to spend too much, you can choose block chalks as they are cheaper than the other types.
Best Climbing Chalks – Conclusion
Step up your climbing game by investing in the best climbing chalk for your next rock climbing adventure. Get rid of that sweat and stop it from coming back by selecting the right climbing chalk and enjoy the perfect climbing weekend.
So what are you waiting for? Go grab your wallet and buy the best climbing chalk now. Let’s chalk it up and climb!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What Is Climbing Chalk Made Of?
Most commonly climbing chalks are made from Magnesium Carbonate or a mix of it with artificial drying agents to wick away the sweat. Some companies add Epsom salts or Upsalite to enhance moisture absorption.
There are other brands, too, which include essential oils to maintain healthy skin by preventing over-dryness, and keep it soft and silky.
Q2. Is Rock Climbing Chalk Similar To Weightlifting Or Gymnastics Chalk?
They are not just similar, but rather exactly the same. These sports require you to have a firm grip over the equipment to ensure a better performance, which is the same as is required in rock climbing.
Q3. Is Blackboard Chalk Similar To Climbing Chalk?
Blackboard chalks are made from Calcium Sulfate, unlike climbing chalks which are made of Magnesium Carbonate. Calcium Sulfate doesn?t have moisture-wicking properties and hence it can?t be used for making climbing chalks.
Q4. How Does Climbing Chalk Help In Climbing?
Climbing chalk increases the friction between the climber?s hand and the surface of the rock by drying out the hands completely. Magnesium Carbonate not only wicks away the sweat but also stops it from coming back.
The additional friction helps the climber to have a better grip and hold on longer than without the climbing chalk. The time saved can then be used to analyze the next move which helps to improve a climber?s performance dramatically.
Q5. How Much Chalk Should I Apply To My Hands While Climbing?
It varies from person to person. Some people tend to release more oil and sweat than others. Such people need more chalk to cake up their hands so that they remain dry, as compared to those who already have relatively dry hands.
However, too much chalk on the hands is unsafe as well. Some climbers believe that overloading the hands with chalk can decrease the friction between the hands and the handholds.
A good rule to follow may be to check your hands when you reach the top of the climb. If your hands don?t have any chalk left on them, then you must apply some more chalk.